What is an Export Packing List?
An export packing list is a detailed document that states all of the product and packaging details contained in each shipment. Shippers must create a compliant packing list document to be used by parties along the supply chain. Therefore, packing list documents are required for all seafreight and airfreight shipments.
The freight forwarder, customs broker or other supply chain partners will use the information contained on the document to correctly identify and transport cargo. In addition, the details will also be used on the Bill of Lading Bill of Lading with the agent or carrier (freight forwarder or shipping line) so that the cargo can be moved around accordingly.
It will be used by Customs in the country of export or import to understand exactly how shipments are packaged and loaded to check product and packaging compliance and any import duties or taxes payable in the country of destination.
There are different ways to create a packing list template, depending on the type of shipment and how the goods have been packaged.
How to create an export Packing List for Full Container shipments.
This is used when 1 or more full containers are shipped. In this case, each line will detail the container number, seal number, description of goods along with package details and weights.
How to create detailed export packing list for LCL and Airfreight shipments.
This format allows you to detail the packages used in LCL (Less-than-Container-Load) and Airfreight shipments. Using this packing list allows you to group together exactly how the items are packaged together, i.e. mixed pallets etc.
The essential information detailed in the packing list includes:
- Shipper and consignee name, address, contact details
- Measurements and total Net Weight and Gross Weight of cargo
- Method of dispatch, type of shipment
- Vessel and voyage details
- Port of loading, port of discharge
- Detailed list of how goods are packaged and number of packages
- Any relevant shipping marks or seal numbers used
- Authorized Signatory company, authorized signatory, signature
- Any other important information or special instructions related to the loading and packaging contained in the shipment
Are you involved in Global Trade?
Our team created IncoDocs to make global trade easy. IncoDocs allows companies in over 100 countries to streamline their shipping document process. Try it for yourself here. If you need more information speak to one of our trade specialists, we will be happy to answer any questions.